Application Idea

Greetings.

I believe this mailing list allows general discussion about Gnome -
including application ideas.  If not, I apologize in advance for this
post.

I have an idea for a program that currently doesn't seem to exist - at
least in one easy to use package.  I'm not a whiz with Linux - I've been
using it for over a year as my main desktop - and I don't program.
Basically, I'm probably a moderately advanced user, crappy system
administrator, and ignorant coder.  I've come to use GNOME as my primary
desktop because if its stability, ease of use, and awesome
configurability.

Recently, I've been wanting to expand the capabilities of my server box -
specifically the modem.  I've got a voice/fax/modem that works fine under
Linux.  I'd like to have a program that would make this hardware an
unbelievable asset in my machine, and a cursory search of Freshmeat and
inquiries in #linpeople on irc.openprojects.net demonstrated that this
program doesn't exist.  I figured that perhaps you people would be able to
develop this program and make it a feature of GNOME.  Of course, I
wouldn't even bring this to your attention unless I thought it would be of
use to many other users around the world.

I desire a program with the following capabilities.  I realize that these
are covered in part or perhaps in whole in other programs, but I was
unable to find a complete package, and ease of use and configuration
requires quite a bit of time to learn - a commodity which I'm currently
short on.

Basically, I want a single program that can easily enable all the
capabilities of my voice/fax/modem.

1) Easy dial-in configuration for modems.  PAP or what-have-you - allow me
to specify what users can dial in - be it me from a laptop or remote - or
friends.

2) Fax setup.  mgetty or the like could probably be the backend.
Send/Recieve are musts. Automatic print/email of faxes would be great.

3) Voice.  Easy voicemail configuration.  Multiple accounts.  Encoding to
low bitrate mp3 and auto-email would make this very powerful.  In the
future, this could be expanded to voice-recognition and send a typed email
to the voicemail owner's mailbox.  Caller-ID would be a plus for some
people, but I personally don't use it.

R Jason Valentine			..ooOO miracle@procyon.com

University of South Alabama, College of Medicine, Class of 2001
Alumni, Auburn University