PPP applet wont disconnect

I am having trouble with the PPP dial up applet in Bongo. It connects
fine, but when I try to disconnect, it doesnt recognize it is already
connected, and it tries to reconnect, and says it has failed to
initialize the modem. I have also noticed that after using this applet,
gnome becomes unresponsive, and I have to ctrl/alt/backsp to exit gnome,
and restarting X fails to load gnome, it appears to hangup just before
the picture loads. I could really use some help.
Darren