Re: Application Idea

At 18:49 2000-06-05 -0700, R. Jason Valentine wrote:
>Tesla Gwynne did reply:
>
>> > Basically, I want a single program that can easily enable all the
>> > capabilities of my voice/fax/modem.
>>
>> [snipped three very different things]
>>
>> (Well, I think they're very different.) The reason this wonder-program
>> doesn't exist is probably due to the unix philosopy of lots of little
>> programs which each do one thing, well.
>
>That's fine and dandy.  How about a graphical wrapper for those programs
>that enable all the functions of a voice/fax/modem?  Basically, I've
>noticed that almost every computer these days has these fancy modems and
>no one is using them to their full potential.  Part of that problem must
>be related to ease of setup.

I've done this using the software that shipped with the modem. It sucked.
Using a combination of an answering machine, a normal fax, and email was a
lot easier. It wasn't worth the trouble just to take advantage of the voice
capabilities of the fax.

The way most Linux programmers think (small apps that do one thing well),
You'd probably have better luck looking for a commercial app that runs
under UNIX. There may be a recent or upcoming port to Linux that will serve
your needs.

 Tony
 --
 Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com>
 PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D