From: Rob Brown-Bayliss [mailto:rob@ZOOstation.cc]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 4:36 AM
To: GNOME List
Subject: Ok, Where has the speed gone?

Ok, I had october GNOME, I had expensive pixmap GTK themes.  Life was
good. Things were smooth and useable.

Then I downloaded the Helix PRM's (I don't know the version) and things
got slow.  Now I have GNOME 1.2 (helix RPM's again, but it's still GNOMe
right) and it's a dog!  No Shit.

My PC is what I imagine to be a damn fine machine, PII300, 96meg ram,
Matrox Millenium II AGP with 8 megs.  XF86 verision 4, Red Hat 6.1  Not
state of the art but not a 486 either.

Now I can't use pixmaps themes because it's painfull watching the
toolbars redraw after accessing a menu!  Whats changed?  Only Gnome!
Only the underlying GTK.

Is it the debuging info in the helix RPM's?  HAve they been so
overloaded with checks for stability that they have lost useability?

Angry and anoyed (but still a GNOME fan at heart).  My GNOME desktop
looked so cool...

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss