Re: helix-gonme 1.2 - very nice but what about browsers?

Rob Brown-Bayliss <rob@ZOOstation.cc> writes:

> > > Well... here is the question... is there some effort
> > > on making a good ms-iexplorer/aol-netscape clone? that
> > > would be, in my opinion, really a great advance for
> > > the GNU comunity.

> Why?  Mozzilla is surely the best Netscap 6 clone ever concievable
> ;-P

I made the (I think reasonable) decision not to try to use beta
software to solve my problems with reliability.  Is Mozilla less buggy
than the netscape-4.72 that I'm currently using under Linux?  Browsing
is a less and less pleasant experience every day and I want to say:
"netscape just doesn't work."

I have a script that runs netscape, checks the exit code and if it
segfaulted it removes the lock and reruns it.  I have another script
that kills all netscape processes for the cases where it a. locks up
or b. bails and leaves zombie-like crud.  I *need* these scripts to
function.

If you are curious:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/daniel/netscapesucks

I'd love to hear alternatives.  I use lynx when that's reasonable, I
select urls and then wget them because I hate having NS crash during a
download.  Other suggestions?

This is only marginally gnome-related but the question of: is there a
reasonable Linux / Gnome browsing "solution" is, I think, pretty
pertinent.

Cheers,
Daniel.