Re: Binaries from GNOME project

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ben Bucksch wrote:

> Why did the GNOME project stop to provide binaries and directs users to
> one certain commercial provider (Helixcode) instead?
>
> I do not want to install software from Helixcode for several reasons
> 1. I generally don't want to install software from commercial entities*

What do you think the R in RPM stands for?  If you don't want to install
software from commerical entities then you won't be using RPMs will
you?

> 2. I do not want to see logos from commercial entities in my software
> (installer)*

a) Don't use the helixcode installer and b) recompile Helix Code's SRPMS,
but removing their patches.  RPM makes this trivial.

> 3. I consider it being unfair to other distributors to drive users to
> one certain company, making theirs the "official" distribution

I am sure that if and when other binary distributions become available
they will be linked to from or mirrored on gnome.org

> 4. I don't like their installer

Don't use it then.  Or better still fix it and submit a patch.

> Re 1.: I am aware that Helixcode employees are GNOME members, and that
> Helixcode contributes to GNOME, but Helixcode is creating the
> distribution on its own behalf without GNOME controlling them. The
> difference? E.g. 2..

Who do you mean by "GNOME"?  I am certainly grateful for the effort that
Helix have put into creating up-to-date RPMs.  If you want to reject these
on some silly "commercial == evil" principle that's up to you, but don't
go whinging that there aren't packages available within seconds of the
release of 1.2

> * At least I want to have the choice not to - without having to compile
> by myself or search endlessly for a "good" distribution.

You can want all you like.  If you can find someone who is prepared to
make packages to your exact specification and requirements for free then
good for you.  Otherwise either (a) make them yourself or (b) pay someone
to do it for you.

> *Please*
> - either remove all mentions of Helixcode from the GNOME website or
> mention it along with other distributors

Why?  What will this achieve, apart from denying users access to a
particularly useful resource - up to date binaries.

> - provide stable binaries again

Great - you'll be volunteering to do that then will you?  AFAIK the
binaries where previously provided by RedHat, who last time I checked were
one of these evil commercial companies.

Just out of interest, who do you think is paying for the hosting of the
gnome.org site?  Servers and bandwidth cost Real Money and without the
backing of companies like RedHat, Gnome would not be able to take on the
proportions that it has today.

Please think your arguments through before indulging in misinformed rants
against companies that have done a great deal of good for the Gnome
project.

Paul