Compiling gnome-lib (& apps) on SGI IRIX 6.5.x problems

Hi,

I'm running IRIX 6.5.8m on an SGI Indy with GNU GCC 2.95.2 used to
compile software.  SGI provides a precompiled version of GNOME software
and applications (http://freeware.sgi.com/), but it is updated once
every 3 months, so I wanted to attempt to compile a slightly newer
version of gnome-libs (in order to use the PIM package for gnomecard
and gnomecal).

The configure options I used were:

--with-gtk-prefix=/usr/freeware --enable-gtk-doc --with-catgets
--with-x --with-imlib-prefix=/usr/freeware --with-esd-prefix=/usr/freeware
--with-audiofile-prefix=/usr/freeware

because I have installed the precompiled s/w.  The compile went
quite well, but failed in the link step:

ld32: WARNING 85: definition of __register_frame in .libs/libgnomeui.so preempts that definition in ../libgnome/.libs/libgnome.so.

[...]

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "bindtextdomain" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "textdomain" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "gettext" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

There were lots of warning about redefinition, but the final three
are errors.  Guessing that they have something to do with the
"--with-catgets" option, I ran "make distclean" and reconfigured
without that option and compiled again.  This time the link errors
were different:

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "bindtextdomain" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "textdomain" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "_nl_msg_cat_cntr" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "dcgettext__" -- 1st referenced by gnome_segv.o.

Not sure what do do about these; couldn't find any man pages for
these functions.  Any ideas?  FYI - I have compiled some s/w with
my existing GNOME setup (such as Balsa, the mail program) so I know
my GNOME setup is OK as-is.  Thanks.

Himanshu Gohel, gohel@csee.usf.edu