Re: Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

On 30 Jul, Fatih Demir wrote:
> Peter Schram [ Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 07:49:20PM +0200 ] :
>> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> Simply set the full LANG. for example not export LANG=tr,
>  but export LANG=tr_TR.
>
> or LANG=de_DE instead of LANG=de.
>
> This will remove all these messages.

As you can see, that doesn't work for me . . .

  $ export LANG=de_DE
  $ gftp

  Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
  $ unset LANG
  $ export LC_ALL=de_DE
  $ gftp

  Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
  gFTP-Warnung: Überspringe Zeile 40 in Konfigurationsdatei: Bei keiner

Although gFTP did come up w/ Deutsch strings each time.

Now here's a funny one:

  $ export LC_ALL=C
  $ gftp
  gFTP Warning: Skipping line 40 in config file: Bei keiner
  $ export LC_ALL=en_US
  $ gftp

  Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
  $ unset LC_ALL
  $ gftp
  $

Unsetting LC_ALL has essentially the same effect as setting it to "C"

Is it at all possible that this (admittedly annoying) warning has some
basis in fact: that the C libraries of some distros have been compiled
without proper locale support???

Enquiring minds want to know . . .

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

May the Farce be with you!