Re: Loss of panel applets after power failure

On 25 Jul, Chris Webster wrote:
> This morning after last nights power failure, I logged in and all
> applets are missing from the panel.  I also use gnome on 2 aircraft,
> which repeatedly suffer crashes.  They have suffered similar applet
> losses.  It's a little expensive to fly half way around the world just
> to delete the .gnome directory and rebuild the layout.  Using current
> Helix distro.
>
> Is there a way to tell gnome, that no matter what happens, do not alter
> the saved setup?

Chris,

This was a request I also posted some months ago. IIRC, there is a
general consensus that some of the session functionality is lacking.

But, instead of rebuilding everything, here's what I do:

Set up GNOME the way you want it: initial session & panel applets

Go into ~/.gnome/panel.d and make a tarball of the default directory,
e.g. default-000715.tar.bz2 (Since I may have multiple versions on hand,
I symlink restore.tar.bz2 to my current version.)

Now, when the panels are trashed, I simply execute this little script:

$ cat s/restore.panel
#!/bin/sh

cd ~/.gnome/panel.d
/bin/rm -rf default
/u/s/untar restore.tar.bz2
cd $OLDPWD

(NOTE: /u/s/untar is a general purpose untarring script)

If you're in console mode, just startx and your panels are restored. If
you're already in GNOME, just kill the panel process. Since it's set to
respawn, it will come back up having read the resurrected defaults.

Similarly, I save copies of "good" sessions and simply copy one to
~/.gnome/session before starting GNOME to recover my setup.

However, this only works if you initially login via console as I do,
rather than xdm or gdm . . .

> Also, is there a command to neatly log out gnome from a script (e.g.  I
> have an icon to shutdown/halt the computer, but it might be more gnome
> friendly to execute some logout function first)?

I would think gshutdown would be of use here, no?

HTH

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

1200 bps used to seem so fast...