Re: What file actually starts startx?

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 12:38:14AM +0000, 1stFlight wrote:
> Hello, I'm running a RH 6.0 setup with the latest HelixGnome install.
> I'm looking for a the file that actually calls "startx"  Thanks!

No file actually calls startx.  startx itself is a wrapper around the
X binary.  Try examining the startx file in your favorite text pager
or editor if you're curious.

If you are using gdm (which you probably are -- gdm is the graphical
login manager included with Helix GNOME), you should look at the file
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.  Near the bottom you will find a section like

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X

This tells gdm where the X binary is, and what displays to manage.
In addition, you can look at the files in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions for
more information on how X is started up.

I hope this answers your question.

--
Ian Peters
itp@helixcode.com