Re: The GNOME community appreciates what red Hat is doing

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> > I apologize for my original comments based on partial information.
> > Telling people to upgrade to the newest version is a good thing to do.
> >
> > Although I do hope Miguel can plan speeches more carefully in the future
> > to avoid headlines like "Miguel says Unix sucks" from being generated.
>
> Thats not his fault.  Thats LWN and then slashdot.  Consider a speech you
> wrote that speaks just fine in full but then someoen comes along and takes
> your speech and whittles it down to a mere 3 paragraphs and then puts a
> nice attention grabbing headline to make it seem controversial.  Thats
> essentially what the press did here.  They created
> controversy.  Why?  Because it generates hits, hits equal revenue.

BS.  LWN didn't need to make it controversial.  Miguel did that all by
himself.  His speech doesn't get any less offensive (to the people offended)
if you read it entirely.  Miguel has a history of attention-grabbing public
statements.  That's fine, he's a showman.  It's good for Gnome.  But trying
to push the blame off onto LWN and Slashdot is ludicrous.

Sri, you may just have to take a good look and see that, occassionally, the
king has no clothes...

Matthew
(Not offended by Miguel's speech)