Re: backspace is delete in gnome. How to Fix?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Schram" <pschram@casema.net>
To: <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000 1:57 PM
Subject: backspace is delete in gnome. How to Fix?

> Hi,
>
> I compiled gnome from source, but backspace works as a delete in gnome.
The
> backspace works ok in a terminal. But Netscape or pan or any other
> application only see it as a delete press. How can this be changed?

The backspace/delete thing is a big mess. It needs to be configured
correctly at many different levels and unless I'm very much mistaken, Gnome
isn't one of them. It's really something that can only be handled at the
distribution level by configuring all the different parts in a consistent
way using their own quirky configuration mechanism. Debian is very good in
this respect and used to be the only one that even claimed to get it right.
Others may since have caught up. There's an entire howto devoted to this
topic, called the backspace-delete-howto or something similar. Read it and
you'll understand that no-one can give you any simple advice that'll make
your backspace and delete keys behave as you expect in all applications.