Re: Helix-update question

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:04:23 Jacob Berkman wrote:
> 0handle dev Stdout <0handle@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Jeffry Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Warren Young wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I don't think it does.  I've had the same problem as
> > > the person who started this thread - I downloaded the rpms from
> > > Helixcode via a fast link I had access to at work, brought the rpms
> > > home on my laptop, installed in my home machine via "rpm -Uvh".  Now,
> > > when I run helix-update, it tells me that the 1.2 updates are
> > > available.  The same one's I have installed.  I can't figure out how
> > > to get it to recognize that they're already installed.  And, if I
> > > choose them in helix-update to install, it crashes.  I've sent the bug
> > > reports in via bugbuddy, so hopefully they're working on fixing the
> > > problem.
> > >

> > I have the same problem, but I updated trough the Helix-updater.
> >
> > could someone from helix bring light into the discussion?
>
> What the updater does is download a list of updates.  An update
> includes a list of packages and their versions. The updater checks
> all of the versions in the update against what you have installed
> and if your version (of any of the packages in the update) is older, it
> will show that the update is available.
>
> Jacob
> --

Can you please clarify 'is older' ? - by what means does it determine if
they are older ? - To give an example in my case it fell over in the
install phase having downloaded control-center-1.2.0-0_helix_1.i386.rpm
because it was already installed ... Without knowing *how* it determines
the relative ages how can we look for clues as to why it doesn't always
work? Saying 'It doesn't work' doesn't help you but we have inadequate
information to help find why. Does it in RHs case use the RPM database
versions ie -1.2.0-0_helix_1 ? Does it differentiate that case from say
-1.2.0-0 (ie non-helix) . If it doesn't use that RPM mechanism, what does it
use ? Sorry to drag this out but it makes it unusable for those of us
who pay by the minute for phone bills unless it is resolved. Personally
I'd prefer the list to explicitly list which RPMs it thinks are out of
date so we could confirm it got it right ourselves...Alternatively, is
that info accessible from what is initially downloaded? If so where is it?

Kim