Re: conflict? gnome updater vs. RH up2date

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Ian Peters wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 12:48:13PM -0700, Martin Brown wrote:
> > Actually, I have the latest python installed, but it installs to
> > /usr/local/bin, quickly solved with a link.  Now, up2date runs, but can't
> > find a gtk module.  I, also, have the latest gtk.
> >
> > I fear that the system, RH6.1, is slowly coming apart.  :(
>
> You have the latest gtk, but you don't have the latest python-gtk
> bindings -- or if you do, you have them installed via rpm, which
> assumes you have python installed via rpm, which puts it into /usr,
> not /usr/local.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but in theory, isn't the creator of an
rpm package for software 'foo' supposed to follow the installation
directions that would be found in foo.tar.gz, *except* when creating
foo.rpm *for Redhat*, or foo.rpm *for Caldera*, or someother distro that
wants things differently than the "norm". And whose installation
guidelines is helix following?

Now, on my current system, which I built in Nov 1999 using RH6.1, I've
been careful to use the rh 'up2date' with Priority Access to keep the core
system packages updated consistently.  Two weeks ago, I ran the helix
installer program (all packages), which I liked, but later discovered
killed 'up2date'. So, a few days ago, I did a second helix-update in hopes
of getting 'up2date' functioning again, but no joy, so far.

I'm willing to accept what ever "blame" I need to for the problem I'm
having, all the same:

[root@localhost /root]# rpm -q gtk+
gtk+-1.2.8-0_helix_1

[root@localhost /root]# rpm -q pygtk
pygtk-0.6.6-0_helix_2

> Your system will tend to come apart if you liberally mix packages
> installed by hand (which by policy install into /usr/local) and
> packages installed with the package manager (in your case, rpm),
> which install into /usr.
>
> --
> Ian Peters
> itp@helixcode.com