Re: gftp

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 09:12:42AM +0100 or thereabouts, Steve Howes wrote:
> Bob Taylor wrote:
> >
> > I currently have Red Hat 6.2 installed on my alpha LX164. I tried
> > using gftp and it looks like it downloads files into a temp file
> > instead of the directory I wish it to. How can I get gftp to download
> > to a file named the same as on the remote?
>
> Bob the left side of the two panel is the directory listing that the
> files will downloaded into.  So if you change the 'Local' directory to
> the one you want to download to and then select the files you want in
> the 'Remote' panel and then press the arrow button that points from the
> 'Remote' to the 'Local' the files should be downloaded into that
> directory.

What Steve said.

I've just been playing around with gftp because I remembered something
about temporary files. You're not making the mistake I did, are you?
I kept double-clicking on the files I wanted to download. This doesn't
download them to the directory your left-hand pane displays: it saves
them to a temporary file and displays them to you. This isn't usually
what you want to happen :)

I managed to do this with Mozilla on a 28.8 modem where I had set the
download rate to something like 1.5k/s so that the other person using
the link still had some bandwidth left. So it took hours. And then it
displayed it to me with a name like ~/.gftp/something/temp-2956128734
as the file name. I was not ecstatic when I realised what I'd done!
Don't double-click unless you only want to view it as a temporary file.
Single-click to highlight a file and hit the arrow to start the
transfer :)

gftp is actually a very very nice client, I have found.

Telsa