Re: LINGUAS standards?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 11:03:22PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> robert.lopez@abq.sc.philips.com writes:
>
> > Is there a standard for the environmental variable
> > LINGUAS?

IIRC, the gettext docs call for using the ISO639 2-character language
codes.  A list of them is at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso639.txt

> > I am in the USA and I sometimes have to set it to "en"
> > sometimes to "en_US" and sometime I have to unsetenv
> > it.
> >
> > I see there is a a "en_GB" and wonder if I should use
> > it.

The attached underscores are supposed to code for regional or dialect
differences.  The most obvious examples for English-speakers are
U.S. (en_US) and British (en_GB) English: "color" vs "colour",
"elevator" vs "lift", etc.

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.