Desktop Icons

Whilst on the subject of of desktop icons, can anybody tell me how to
regain the standard desktop icons. I installed several upgrades the
other day and I don't know which one trashed the desktop, but it left me
with default mc mimetype icons which can not be changed by
right-click->Recreate Default Icons or by right-click->properties->
change icon this tends to cause gmc to crash :¬(
Any thoughts, one that comes to mind is to scrapping .gnome-desktop?

--
Steve - Cheltenham, UK
---------