Re: [Fwd: Bug in font rendering in XFree86 4.0 - 4.0.1?] -- Debugging/UI Inspection tool?

Miles Lane <miles@speakeasy.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to track down an XFree86 4.0.x bug that
> causes the text in the GMC desktop icons to be misjustified.
> I'd like a method of determining which fonts are being displayed.
> Is there any client application for Gnome that will basically
> inspect a client window and tell me it's properties (something
> like Sun's xscope would be ideal, but I've failed to compile it
> with XFree86 4.0.1 installed under Linux for X86 (lots of
> definition errors to do with PEX and so on).
>
> If necessary, I can recompile GMC, but I'd really rather not.
> I am currently running the latest rev. available through
> Helixcode.

Though it is not the right way to go about debugging this
particular problem (I'm actually planning to debug this one today) -
for debugging X traffic, I've had good luck with xmon:

You can get it from

 ftp.x.org:/contrib/devel_tools/

Regards,
                                        Owen