can't login to GNOME

Dear all,

I am new to Linux. I am new to this mailing list - please excuse if this
posting is not adequate here!

I installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.12-20) onto an Compaq Armada E500.
Linux is working in the terminal mode. When I try to start GNOME it does not
work! I guess there is no adequate graphic driver installed. My question
now: Where can I see which driver is installed? Where can I find drivers on
the Internet for a Compaq notebook? How can I install the driver?

Thanks for your help!