Re: Deleting users

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 08:42:04AM -0700 or thereabouts, Ezequiel wrote:
> I'm not much skilled in using UNIX/Linux, and I would like to know if there
> is a gnome tool for dealing with creation and deletion of user acounts. I
> would also apresiate if some could tell me how to delete a user via command
> line, I know there is an adduser or useradd command, but I don't see
> anything like "userdel, deluser, deleteuser" or somthing like that in
> /usr/sbin

I don't know of any directly GNOME-specific apps for this. The tricky
bit is that you need root privs to do this kind of thing, and writing
a safe program for this is apparently not a simple undertaking. So the
non-GNOME alternative I do know of:

If you have linuxconf on your system, that will do it. You can run it
in text mode or gui mode. You must be root to run it. This doesn't mean
you need to run all of GNOME as root, though: start a terminal in GNOME,
'su' to root in there, and then type 'linuxconf'.

GNOME-relevance: well, there _is_ a gnome-linuxconf package on at
least some distributions: my RH system has it and with the short details:
Summary     : The GNOME front-end for linuxconf.

Btw: I do have a userdel in my /usr/sbin: it came from the shadow-utils
package.

Telsa