Re: applet backgrounds

On  9 Jul, Desmond Rivet wrote:

> Are applet backgrounds an individual applet thing? Or can I change them
> globally somewhere? I've hunted around but I could be blind...

I'm fairly certain that it depends upon how the applet draws itself on
the panel. But I've been known to be wrong once or twice . . .

> While I'm here, please allow me to ask a generic Linux question.
> I realize this isn't the forum for it but...
>
> I have a FAT32 partition that I've mounted off of the root directory. It's
> called /share. I use it to pass files between Windows and Linux.
>
> I have tried to change the permissions of this /share directory/mount
> point so I can put files in there without becoming root. Every time I try
> to do this, however, either with chmod or through the File Manager, the
> changes won't take. Are there any limitation with changing the permissions
> of a FAT32 partition? I'm not tryint to change the permissions of the
> files in the partition, just the partition itself...

>From my /etc/fstab:

# WinDOS partitions on /dev/hda
# These partitions were reallocated to Linux and are left as examples only
#/dev/hda1      /mnt/dos/c      vfat    defaults,uid=1000   1   1
#/dev/hda5      /mnt/dos/d      vfat    defaults,uid=1000   1   1
#/dev/hda6      /mnt/dos/e      vfat    noauto,defaults,uid=1000   1   1
#/dev/hda7      /mnt/dos/f      vfat    defaults,uid=1000   1   1

The uid, 1000, is my non-root uid from /etc/passwd:

barthel:x:1000:100::/u/barthel:/bin/bash

>From the mount manpage (options for fat):

       uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the
              uid and gid of the current process.)

IOW, you can just give the "uid" option (in conjunction w/ the "user"
option) so that whoever mounts the drive owns it. I specified *my* uid
so that noone but me could modify my WinDOS partitions.

HTH

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

First rule of intelligent tinkering: save all the parts.