Gnome-terminal and malconfigured ptys

I reciently moved my /, /usr and /home directories to new disk partitions.  In the process I lost the permissions for most of the devices in /dev.  To the best of my ability I have restored those permissions and everything seems to be up and running except gnome-terminal (e.g. xterm is fully functional).  When I launch gnome-terminal as a normal user I get the error message:

There has been an error while trying to log in.

If you are using Linux 2.2.x with glibc 2.1.x, this is probably due to incorrectly setup Unix98 ptys.

If I launch gnome-terminal as the root user everything seems to work.  Here are the permisions on /dev/ptys*

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        2,  48 Sep  8  1999 /dev/ptys0

and so on through /dev/ptysf

What should I check next?

This is a Debian system.

Before you buy.