menu panel in middle of desktop

gnome 1.2, redhat 6.0 X 3.something (whatever ships with RH 6.0)

I logged into my system (runlevel 5, gnome login manager) and my menu panel
appeared about 1/4 way up from the bottom of my screen. Thinking 'sunspots' I
logged in again, now it's 4/5 from the bottom. May eventually it will work its
way back up to the top where it's been for the last two weeks ( since I first
installed gnome 1.2).
The only change to the system I've made since the last login was to update
BIND. I've done nothing to X or to Gnome. Does anyone care to shed some light on
this behavior?

gary