RE: that X/Gnome lockup thing. How to trace it?

> > In my local Linux user group, I mentioned that my RH 6.1 system was
> > locking up. I'd never had a lockup in linux for 3 years, until Gnome
> > 1.2.1 made its appearance.  Several people chimed in with the same
> > complaint.  Then I put it together with the mentions of
> lockups in this
> > list and I started to wonder if the problem might be widespread.
>
> Repeat after me. Lock-ups are _NOT_ the fault of GNOME.

I think your analysis is premature. I had similar problems with
ealier GNOME 1.050 but they have go away once I moved to 1.1
and now 1.2. It is misleading to say complete lockup. After some
discussion on this list about the problem the conseense was that something
in X was grabbing all keyboartd and mouse event and throwing them in a
bit bucket. The way to tell the difference between system lockup (i.e
CPU halted) and just X taking all input is to telnet from another machine.
unfortunately a alot of us don't have a home network, I know I don't.

> Try installing another swap partition. I have 64MB of RAM
> with 256MB of
> SWAP - so if one partiton gets full - the other is still free
> (actually,
> 128MB has worked fine for me also  - but several times I've
> encountered
> 'run-away' programs that try to eat all memory available - so having
> 256MB gives me better change of killing them before they
> render my system
> OOM (and I've found in one case it fills up the 1st swap
> partition but
> doesn't fill up the second one - so I find that my system is still
> responsive thanks to the second swap)

This sounds like its worth a try. but low memory must just trigger the bug
not
be the bug itself.