Panel not responding under FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE

Hi Everyone,

I am running GNOME under FreeeBS 4.0-STABLE.  I have the most recent ports
gnomelibs and gnomecore and gnomeapplets.

The panel sometimes takes up to 60 seconds to respond to button presses
and request to bring up the menu.  It seems to happen after I have been
working in a window for a while and then go to use the panel.  It's as if
it has timed out while I am doing other things and then wakes up after a
long period of time.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I am using
the same GNOME setup at work under Solaris 2.6 and do not see this
problem.

has anyone else experienced this under FreeBSD?  Have any causes been
found for this problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions or solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Bidemi Temidire