gnorba and gnomecc (was "stupid, stupid, stupid")

Well, I solved my problem. I know you probably don't care, but I'm going to
tell you anyway ! :))))

First let me thank Telsa Gwynne, who didn't give me the answer, but pointed
me to the place where I could start gathering information about where I
might possibly start to look (as you might have guessed, it wasn't exactly
straightforward :)))

The original problem was that after a half-ass-sleepy-eyed upgrade, my
control center window would pop up, but the it would give me the error
"cannot contact control-center" and I couldn't modify a thing.

I discovered that in the previous version of Gnome, the gnomecc.gnorba file
(that contains all the info) was stored in /etc/CORBA/servers. After my
upgrade most of the .gnorba files, the ones that worked, had been moved to
/usr/etc/CORBA/servers. Of course gnomecc.gnorba had not been copied, thus
the error. I suspect that somewhere there is a way to define the search
path for these files, but I ignore how you set this (gconfigger perhaps?).

Ciao,

--
Valerio Luccio  - NYU, Center for Neural Science
http://cns.nyu.edu/~valerio

        "In an open world, who needs windows or gates?"