Re: GNOME logs me out unexpectedly

On  5 Jul, Desmond Rivet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something else that's bizarre:
>
> When I run GNOME for a relatively long time the screen will
> occasionally turn a funky combination of colors and then either:
>
> a) log me out
> b) reboot the system
> c) hang
>
> All this after the funky colors appear on my screen.

No funky colors, but yes, I have experienced all three types of "hangs".

FWIW, although I'm using XF86-4.0, I've got an S3Virge card. According
to the XF86 docs, the v4.0 S3V driver should be just as stable as the
v3.3.x driver, since it was a direct port.

Given the other reports that seem to indicate that this has more to do
with GNOME than X--and given that I had the problems starting with the
1.1 prereleases of GNOME while still using XF86-3.3.x, I'm really
starting to lean toward this being a primarily GNOME 1.2 issue--even if
it's just a really weird GNOME/X interaction.

Let's see if we can find any more common denominators: I don't use
gdm--I log in at a text console and startx. My .xinitrc calls
gnome-session, but I've removed gmc entirely--no desktop icons, no file
manager. I have 3 panels: the menu panel, an icon/launcher panel on the
right edge, and an auto-hide taskbar panel on the bottom. I tend to use
a combination of rxvts and gnome-terminals. I use several tcl/tk apps,
especially TkRat and FileRunner. I've also got GKrellM running (and the
Bubble Load Monitor). I'm currently at sawfish 0.28.1 (only because I'm
about to upgrade to Slack 7.1 before I recompile sawfish). I'm using Pan
and tin for Usenet; Lynx & Netscape for WWW.

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
     oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water,
     a vital ingredient in beer.
     - Dave Barry