RE: User-defined mime-types are broken in GNOME 1.2

I am not sure if this is the same problem.  I decided to try fidling with
mime types yesterday as my partner recieves many .doc and .xls files.
Clciking a .xls in gmc loads it with gnumeric as expected.

I tried to set up a text/doc mime type for her that would load it with WP
but it kept loading the file in emacs.

I then logged on as my self and found that I could get it to load in Abiword
but not WP.  I then re-logged on as Leanne and set it to load Abiword but
once again it loads .doc's with emacs.  Emacs is not even set up as the
default editor.

Any clues?