Re: file manager

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 bob@thestuff.net wrote:

> There is a new 3d file system app on freshmeat. I have seen others before,
> but this is the best one I have ever run across. This one is actually
> useable for day to day use. Can the gnome core guys have a look at it and
> see it, or its ideas could be used in the new file manager?
> http://fox.mit.edu/skunk/soft/fsv/

Yes, I spotted this app.  I took a look at the features and the screen
shots but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what the advantage
is.  It looks like it could be a bit confusing.  Directories and files
didn't look like they were ordered in any distinguishable way (for
instance alphabetically with directories first.  Sometimes different
doesn't mean better.

On the other hand, I didn't try it and I really hope I'm wrong.  It
looks nice and I admire original thinking.  Filesystems are inherently
4 dimensional: position in hierarchy (2-dimensions), size, time.  So
it makes sense that a 3-D filemanager would be a leap forward.

Tom
------
Quote of the day for Saturday, 29 January, 2000:

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

  - E. E. Cumming