Re: gmc in the twilight zone. It won't work on a network?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Paul E. Johnson wrote:

> I used ssh to work on a machine at the office from home.  All was going
> OK, but then I needed to look inside an RPM.  I didn't have a spare 20
> minutes to read/remember how to do that trick with rpm and cpio to get
> individual files out so I figured I could just run gmc and the
> X-forwarding would carry the gmc window back to me at home and I could
> use it to just look inside the RPM.
>
> But the gmc that starts is not running on the office machine, for some
> reason I cannot understand the gmc session opens on the HOME computer,
> even when I start gmc in the shell that is running on the office
> computer.
>
> The same thing happens if I try to explicitly export the DISPLAY to
> point at the home machine.
This is a known 'feature'.
If you run GMC it first checks for another running GMC. If GMC is already
running (read displaying stuff on your DISPLAY), the newly started GMC
tells the already running GMC to open up a new window.

If you want GMC to be running on the remote machine, you first need to
close the currently running GMC. Therefore open up a new window and choose
from the menu: commands->exit.
Then you can execute GMC on the remote computer.

 Cheers, Martin.

  mailto:hawlisch@roxi.rz.fh-mannheim.de
  http://www.hawlisch.de