RE: gdm question

On 26-Jan-00 Loban Amaan Rahman wrote:
> I've been experimenting with gdm settings. I turned both "browser"
> and "quiver" mode on (both of which are off by default), and liked the
> result. However, it seems that there is a way to customize what faces
> are shown in the "face browser" window instead of the default face.
> Unfortunately I couldn't find any docs on how to do this. I discovered
> the gdmconfig program (hidden away, it ought to have a .desktop entry
> so that root can access it from the panel menu), but the program
> was feature-incomplete (half the options were grayed out, etc).

        I'm not aware of any documents either, but this seems to
work:

        1. If it doesn't already exist, create the directory that
is named by the field "GlobalFaceDir=".

        2. Make a copy of whatever image you want to use for a
login in PNG format with Electric Eyes or XV or some other graphical
program that understands both formats. Copy this PNG image to
<GlobalFaceDir>/<login>. Note, no extension.

        3. Restart the greeter.

        Now, for user <login>, you should have a picture in the
face browser.

Date: 26-Jan-00  Time: 12:17:48

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor