Help, applets work in term.. but not panel

Greetings,

Just upgraded from October to Beantown.  Everything is great, except that
all of the "new" applets won't work in the panel.  I can launch them from
a terminal which will send them to the panel temporarily.  When I try to
add a "new" applet to the panel, the panel blinks, and nothing happens!
All of the applets are installed in /usr and all the .desktop entries look
ok... Most of the applets from Ocotober gnome still seem to work ok.

Any ideas?

Please help,

Dave