Re: Micro$oft-style dragable, resizable, stackable menu/button bars.

Renze de Ruiter wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Miles Lane wrote:
>
> > This cannot be rocket science.  I am amazed that this
> > functionality isn't in Gnome already.  This is an area
> > where Gnome is running behind Micro$oft in usability.
>
> Tried this with Gnumeric's toolbars, by any chance?  :)

Okeedokee.  I had not seem them before.  They are close
to what I am talking about, but not all the way there.

Specifically, Micro$soft's button/menubars support
hiding some of the right-hand portion of a tool/menubar.
For example, is I stack two buttonbars in a single row
and there isn't room for both bars to be displayed in
their entirety, one (or both?) of the bars can be placed
such that some of the bar buttons scroll off the end of
the bar.  In place of having everything be visable, this
symbol ">>" indicates that something is not seen.  Clicking
on the ">>" symbol scrolls the buttons to the left, unhiding
the hidden buttons.  Obviously, as the buttons get scrolled,
a "<<" symbol shows up on the lefthand side of the bar
so the user can scroll back.

Also, when a window is resized horizontally, the ">>"
symbol will appear as the toolbar shrinks to fit in the
window and a some of the toolbar buttons become hidden.
This is really quite nicely implemented and works very
intuitively and smoothly.

Also, the ability to hide and unhide the button labels
by dragging the bar's lower edge up and down does not
appear to be there.

That said, "Woohoo!"  It's looking much, much better!

Thanks,
	Miles