Re: powershell/gnome-terminal

Hey, wow!  This is great!

[snippage]

> I think it would be better to allow a user to select the terminals to be
> "swallowed" into the tabbed terminal window.  The tabbed terminal window
> could also "regurgitate" the "swallowed" terminal windows if selected to.
> But to make this all happen all of the terminals need to be running in the
> same gnome-terminal process, or some CORBA work needs to be done to
> support it.

One of the challennges here is that selecting "Gnome Terminal" from a
panel menu or button will still start a new process.  This is okay
and is probably even desirable, as bob@thestuff.net pointed out.

I am unclear how you are proposing this might be handled.  Would
you be able to have multiple gnome-terminals running in tabbed
mode?  If so, are all gnome-terminals that are not in tabbed mode
available to be swallowed by any tabbed-mode gnome-terminal?
Also, when a terminal is regurgitated, does it remain a window
displayed by the regurgitating tabbed-mode gnome-terminal or
does it become a separate process?

I am thinking one way to solve this might be to have gnome-terminal
only ever run one instance at a time.  When gnome-terminal is called
it displays an initial window.  For the span of time that at least
one gnome terminal window is displayed, all windows are displayed by
this one process, tabbed or not.  When the last window is closed, the
gnome-terminal exits.

In this approach, executing gnome-terminal subsequent to the start
of the initial instance would simply cause a signal to the first
instance to display a new non-tabbed window.  Then the signalling
gnome-terminal would exit.

One nice thing here is that saving settings would be pretty
straightforward, since only one process is writing out the settings.

Any more feedback?  I am really excited to see how your work progresses!

Thanks Rusty!

	Miles