Library paths for config

I'm setting up a new machine and have upgraded to all the "stable/latest"
libs from the ftp site.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what I have to do
to get ac to recognize the new libraries in usr/local/lib and ignore the
distribution libs in /usr/lib.  I already did the ld.so.conf and ldconfig
stuff for the linker, but I've got configure scripts failing that are
obviously not seeing the new stuff under local.

I installed libtool-1.3.4 (again in local) and even tried copying the
libtool.m4 macro into /usr/share/aclocal.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction, before I do any real damage?  A sysadmin I'll never be.

Thanks,
Mike