CD-ROM and floppy handling

Letting GNOME mount CD-ROMs and floppy disks is all very fine when the
desktop is actually running, but I also want to be able to access the
drives when nobody is logged in, so I've configured automount to take
care of these devices, which creates a conflict. Is there any way to
integrate these two mechanisms? And how exactly does GNOME detect that a
floppy disk or CD is inserted, anyway? Does it use some kind of a
daemon, and could this be run independently of GNOME?
--
Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.no>   +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)