Re: efm..

* Sri Ramkrishna (sri@aracnet.com) wrote:

> > > Anybody seen EFM (enlightenment Filemanager I think).  Looks neat.  But I
> > > haven't seen it in practice.  Looks like they've taken a very simple
> > > design and decided not to go with a "explorer" type model.  Actually, it
> > > looks more like the old MAC interface.  Very neat.
> >
> > Well the inspiration is the amiga, but its about 10% complete now, so
> > don't draw too many conclusions about the interface ;)
>
> Actually I was going to say Amiga because of the different size icons and
> stuff.  But I've been making a lot of "we should make it like an Amiga"
> comments that I figure people are sick of. :-)
>
> > > Has anybody tried efm from cvs to see how well it works?
> >
> > Please don't try this unless you *really* know what you are doing.
> > The contents of the module are not for public consumption yet, and it
> > is not a simple compilation right now. It also depends on two other
> > developmental libraries which have not yet been released.
>
> Actually I wanted to hear from people like you who are developing or got
> it going and wanted to say something about it.

Oh, right. Its cool.

Is that ok?

Hehe.

Well, it uses imlib2, which is a *fast*, true RGBA graphics
library with funky features like blending and antialiasing. The
antialiased true-type fonts are particularly lovely.

Imlib2 may in the future support hardware acceleration through opengl
for certain operations.

The internal abstract event mechanism is lovely.

The mime-type handling uses libgdbm and is *going* to be very nice.

It stems from Enlightenment so it will obviously be uber-configurable.

It supports mouse-wheels and even mouse-wheel acceleration ;)

E 0.17 will use it for file selection, icons etc.

The file handling is all asynchronous, and xdnd is already supported.

The selections are perty, the backgrounds are layered (even parallax
scrolling is supported ;) and it just basically looks nice.

I won't go on more (I could), because its early days yet and I don't
want to blab too much of the good stuff.

Anyway. It really is a bit early to discuss all this stuff, which is
why I held back in my previous post. (Jeez, there aren't even
scroll-bars yet ;)

Thanks for your interest though ::)

Tom.
--