Re: KDE Menus in Gnome

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Joshua Gilbert wrote:

> I have a problem getting GNOME to display my KDE menus.
>
> I've selected "KDE menu (if found): In a submenu" in the GNOME Menu
> properties, yet nothing shows up in the "KDE menus" submenu (it's
> blank!).
>
> I know I have KDE menus, and they show up just fine when I run
> kmenuedit. Obviously, I don't want to be running both the KDE panel
> AND the GNOME panel, and I'd prefer to streamline the KDE menus into the
> GNOME panel.
>
> Is the location of the KDE menus hardcoded in? I installed the October
> GNOME package for Debian using apt-get. However, I'm using Corel Linux,
> which puts the KDE menus under /usr/X11R6/share/applnk. I'm guessing
> that if Debian put the KDE menus in a different directory and that
> location is hardcoded in, it could produce a problem for me.

This is most likely what is happening.

> Please tell me I can fix this without re-compiling GNOME.

Hmm, you could add a symlink (ln -s /usr/X11R6/share/applnk
/usr/share/applnk) - you may want this anyways so that the various KDE
apps will find their .desktop files.

Right now it's not configurable. At very least it should pay attention to
environment variables, and preferably have a configuration option. If you
file a wishlist-level bug report (via bug-buddy or the gnome-bug script),
the panel hackers will probably add it for the next release.

-- Elliot
It is easier to turn excellent functionality into excellent appearance
than excellent appearance into excellent functionality.