Re: gnome over a network

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Thomas R . Shannon wrote:

> OK, that's what I've been doing and you're right, it doesn't work.
> Now riddle me this.  If I'm not running a GNOME session on the local
> machine, I can run a GNOME program (usually panel) from the remote
> machine through a telnet session with the $DISPLAY set with no errors.

In this case, the name service will be started on the remote machine, and
other programs will be able to access that object.

> Now all GNOME programs on _both_ machines work fine, including
> drag'n'drop between programs started on the remote machine and those
> started on the local machine.

The local machine may be able to make arbitrary network connections to the
remote machine, but not vice versa.

-- Elliot
It is easier to turn excellent functionality into excellent appearance
than excellent appearance into excellent functionality.