Swallowed app

What exactly is required from an application for the panel to be able to
"swallow" it? In particular, I would like to add "xmailbox" as a
swallowed app (because none of the mailcheck applets work quite the way
I want), and I'm pretty sure I got this to work earlier, but when I try
it now, it is displayed in a separate window. Can anyone explain what is
going on?
--
Toralf Lund                     New Tel.#:+47 66 85 51 00
Kongsberg Scanners AS                     +47 66 85 51 01 (fax)