Re: Questions from new user

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 09:26:55AM +0100 or thereabouts, Toralf Lund wrote:

> The panel version is 1.0.39. I suspect there isn't really such a thing as a
> Gnome version, since most of the components are distributed separately.

That sounds to me like you are running Red Hat 6.1 or SuSE (umm :)) 6.2?
Both came out around the same time, about two weeks before "October
Gnome" came out. October Gnome is the latest current collection of
all the bits and bobs that make up Gnome. There have been a couple of
releases of different Gnome packages since then, but that was the last
time everything was released together.

Most October Gnome packages are 1.0.53 or so. If Gnome is working well
for you, fine, but generally, people suggest upgrading to October Gnome.
You can find the October Gnome stuff and instructions for how to
upgrade for different distributions at http://www.gnome.org/start/

Yes, it is a long list of packages :)

> The iconbook can be viewed as a multipage "desktop" running in a window. It
> helps keep the desktop tidy while retaining the functionality of desktop
> icons. None of the alternatives you mention seem to achieve this. You can
> for instance (as far as I know) not drop things on launcher icons.

After a year of using X, I am still having trouble aiming the mouse in
the right direction. Drag and drop seems to me to be advanced stuff :)
So I haven't tried that. What you describe sounds interesting, though.

Telsa