gnome-terminal enlarges itself automatically

I have a problem with gnome-terminal.  Whenever it starts, it first
appears shortly at its normal size, then it resizes to 824x516
characters, not pixels.  I can resize it back to normal, but it is
hardly functional behaviour.

It can hardly be normal, as I understand others are using gnome-terminal
daily.  For now I remain with xterm.

I have tried to remove related files in .gnome, because I thought there
might be a problem with session state, but no difference.  I have
removed Terminal and session.

I use october gnome from slackware 7. WM is fvwm 2.3.12, gnome
compliant, compiled here.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)			http://www.seindal.dk/rene/