RE: Need a little help with sound and modem

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 06:47:34 Poletti, Don wrote:
> > The second problem I'm having is with my US Robotics
> > Sportster modem.  It is
> > autodected and a com port is assigned, as it is a PnP card,
> > but the modem
> > will not initialize and dial.  I have been told that it can
> > be difficult to
> > get a modem working, however I don't know what to do from here.
> >

> I Believe that the sportster is what is known as a WinModem. Meaning
Not all Sportster are winmodems.
There are a couple ways to determine if your modem IS a winmodem:
1.  if it is a pci modem, its a winmodem.
2.  if you can use it in windows with the standard modem drivers, and
not the drivers that came with it, then it is NOT a winmodem
3.  In windows, use hyperterminal, and give the modem the "ATI7"
command, if it mentions "VXD" anywhere in the report it spits out, then
it IS a winmodem