Need a little help with sound and modem

I have a Creative Labs AWE64 in my computer.  However, although I set it
correctly using sndconfig, whenever it tries to play a sound the speakers
just crackle a little.  The test sound will play fine, however the test midi
does not play.

The second problem I'm having is with my US Robotics Sportster modem.  It is
autodected and a com port is assigned, as it is a PnP card, but the modem
will not initialize and dial.  I have been told that it can be difficult to
get a modem working, however I don't know what to do from here.

I would appreciate as much help as I can get.

Mike