Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 11:06:57AM -0500, David Helder wrote:
> Linux (and most good OSes) will only copy the parent's process table and
> then copy pages on _write_ only.  So, the entire process isn't copied.
>
> I don't think it will be too slow.  I'll try it out and see how it works.

You're forgetting that not all OS's allow you to overcommit memory.  A large
vfork()'d process, even one that's you know is never going to change it's
data and trigger a copy, can fail on most *nix's if the process is large
enough that the copy couldn't be accomodated.

In short, you shouldn't do it that way.

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.