Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 07:46:24AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> David Helder <dhelder@umich.edu> writes:
>
> > Yes, async DNS is a weakness in Gnet.  I've glanced at adns.  The license
> > is a problem.  If I were to implement it (and I probably will), I'd
> > probably just fork and call gethostbyname.  This probably costs a bit more
> > than implementing gethostbyname from scratch as adns does, but, hey, at
> > least I don't have to implement gethostbyname from scratch.

I don't imagine gethostbyname is that hard...

> I'd suggest to do this.  It's not worth spending much time on this
> since most platforms will sometime soon have native async DNS whichyou
> then can use.

OTOH, it would be nice to have an implementation that only needs sockets, and
have autoconf detect if theres a better way :-)

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net     | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Fax: +61 (8) 9265 0821 / +0 (775) 205 0307 | Home: +61 (8) 9389 9152