Questions about pager, etc.

Okay, let me preface this question with a bit of explanation about where
my understanding is... from what I can tell, there are two different ways
to deal with multiple desktop screens in gnome, additional "viewports" and
additional "workspaces". In particular, viewports act as if you had a
larger monitor (typically, moving your mouse against the edge moves the
viewport, and there's a little taskbar? applet that shows all the
different viewports and lets you switch to them.) Conceptually, a viewport
is one very large desktop, with only a portion visible to you at a time,
because your monitor is only so big. Workspaces, on the other hand, are
conceptually multiple "layers" of your desktop. Also, they seem to
coexist, where you can have multiple viewports, each with it's own levels
of workspaces. Sawmill (the wm I use) seems to favor workspaces (there are
rightclick menus to move apps between workspaces). (Please note that I
could be using the wrong terms.)

Phew. Okay, now to my question. I prefer viewports to workspaces, and like
having a few apps in one viewport, and a few others in a different one.
However, when I start apps, first, they by default appear in the "0"
viewport rather than the one i'm currently in, and second when I drag them
across viewports, they don't move in the pager - all the apps I ever
opened are in the pager in the "0"th viewport. This would be much more
useful to me if both of the above things worked as expected. Am I missing
a configuration setting for this? Is this a window manager thing? Who
should I bug/bribe to get this fixed?

Thanks!

	David Fallon