Re: compiling from tarballs

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 08:03:45AM -0600, Data Zone wrote:

> Actually, building rpms from tarballs is easy as pie, as long as a spec
> file is included in the tarball, and its not broken.  all you have to do
>
> is: "rpm -tb tarball-name.version.tar.gz"
> that should run for a bit then make a rpm or rpms in
> /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386, or similar.
> Make sure you are root when you do this, and you have all the necessary
> development packages installed.  If you get any errors, just untar the
> tarball, edit the spec file to fix it, then tar it up again, and try
> building again.

I'd like to see all the steps because I've tried this a couple of times and
simply didn't get a rpm in the end.  The spec file was for gnome-core-1.0.54
and the tarball was from the ftp.gnome.org site.

I ended up just installing the thing from the make directory, I believe.

> If you have any problems, let me know, i can post the rpms for those
> packages on my site for you.

Better we should learn how to do this.  I'm using RH 6.1 with most upgrades.