Re: Gnome replacement for kdesu

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 10:33:34PM -0800, Loban Rahman wrote:

> I was wondering if there will be or is a Gnome replacement for kdesu?
>
> The kdesu program allows non-root users to run programs that ideally need
> root access (e.g. gnorpm, up2date, etc.). If I type
>
> 	kdesu -c progname
>
> it checks if the user is root, and if not, prompts for the root password.
> It then uses the su program to start progname as root. It also has a number
> of nifty facilities, including "remembering your root password for a
> particular program" using the kdesud daemon. So, since I run gnorpm pretty
> often, I can ask kdesu to "remember" my root password for the current
> session. I find this particularly useful, because without it I either have
> to log out and back in as root, or use the commandline to su to root.

Try gnorpm-auth (at least on rh6.2)  Redhat has a much better sollution to
this then kdesu.  However this requires pam and not all linux-distrubution
and not all other os's gnome runs on has it.

So.. gnome-su might still be usefull.

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | Center for Parallel Computers
http://erik.bagfors.nu/    | http://www.pdc.kth.se