sound haywire in gnome-libs-1.0.56

anybody else having loads of grief with the sound changes from
gnome-libs-1.0.56?  I've filed two bug reports in the past two days just on
sound, and tried to send an update to one of them (which doesn't work, but
tracking system is, uhm, not good).  The only problem that I have right now
is that I can't turn off individual sounds.  Deleting them turns them off
until I log out and log back in (which is only once a day, but still).
Thanks for any work arounds or fixes,
	Greg